Search This Blog

Saturday 14 June 2014

The Caldecott Chronicles by R G Bullet

Artist: Michael Grey

I read this when R G Bullet kindly offered it for free, on checking Smashwords today I discovered it now costs $2.99 (equivalent to £1.76 or €2.21).

This was the first story I read based in Victorian times with the tag zombie.  Interestingly zombie is never used in the book which makes sense because if anyone had ever come across the term it would have related to a very different voodoo thing.  The story is written very much in the style of a Victorian novel which may put some readers off, but believe me when I say that you do get used to it and it adds a verisimilitude to the whole experience.
Now here’s where it got a bit sticky. As soon as the blast went off, I could hear a collective moan. Noise at this level tends to aggravate and attract the local undead. 
The book is written in the form of a letter come diary and shows how the protagonist learns about the undead and what advice he can give to survive.  It also details his 'relationship' with a young woman who is, shall we say, not quite of his class.

An additional bonus to my mind is some great etchings which intersperse the tale of a lord and how he copes in his stately home with the mysterious uprising of the undead.


No comments:

Post a Comment